After our in-class reading time today, my English II class had a few spare minutes. I wrote on the board “Why Read?” and asked this group of sophomores, “Why do we read books? What good does it do?” Hands shot up everywhere, and they quickly generated a pretty impressive list of responses:
• Reading helps your imagination.
• You can apply what you read to real-life situations.
• It helps your writing.
• You can escape your world.
• Reading helps you understand different perspectives.
• You learn moral lessons.
• You can learn about different cultures.
• It’s fun.
• It expands your viewpoints.
• Reading a lot helps your comprehension.
• Your vocabulary grows.
• You learn new things.
I think it’s going to be a great year with this group of smart people!