GARY ANDERSONThanks for visiting my blog. I appreciate your time reading and commenting here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Getting SCHOOLED with Anne Lutz Fernandez and Catherine Lutz
- A Dozen Cool Ways to Use Periscope in Your Class
- What Students Read When They Can Read Anything
- “If I Had a Lexile”
- The Good Start: Twelve Targets for New Teachers
- It’s Picture Book Monday (in High School)
- What Do You Do in Your "Free" Periods?
- What If Students Write for Themselves?
- What Does “College Ready” Really Mean?
- 2014 in review
- 5 of 5 stars to Schooled by Anne Lutz Fernandez goodreads.com/review/show/13… 17 hours ago
- Getting SCHOOLED with Anne Lutz Fernandez and Catherine Lutz whatsnotwrong.wordpress.com/2015/07/29/get… http://t.co/G2PGFbghhw 17 hours ago
- Band, yes, but also true of arts classes in general. "High School Band Classes May Boost Teen Brains" t.usnews.com/Zbnkzi?src=usn… 1 day ago
- RT @SavannaFlakes: Let's UDLize our classrooms- fb.me/6zdl0fr5F 1 day ago
- 4 of 5 stars to Paper Towns by John Green goodreads.com/review/show/13… 1 day ago
- And good job to @WritersWeekFHS for bringing A. S. King to town this year! twitter.com/kelleemoye/sta… 1 day ago
- RT @JoyKirr: Encourage, lift, & strengthen one another... happyappdaily.com/?p=1743 We are all connected. Let's spread positivity! http://t.c… 2 days ago
- RT @JoyKirr: A list of picture bks I'd like to read in 7th gr next yr: docs.google.com/document/d/1a4… Thanks to @heisereads @pernilleripp & @Ander… 2 days ago
- Best Practices for Web Writing ucwbling.chicagolandwritingcenters.org/best-practices… 2 days ago
- Nice archive to use for authentic "college-ready" writing: twitter.com/writingcentrrs… 2 days ago
- 1970s 2011 2012 america american studies apathy art baseball beatles blog blogs books chicago choice collaboration colleagues cubs data donalyn miller education english facebook family friends fun goals goodreads grades grading graphic novel high school illinois jane kise john green jo knowles learning literacy literature mark twain memoir motivation music ncte ning nonfiction parents penny kittle picture books poetry professional development randy wayne white reading reading ladders retirement review reviews revision schools shakespeare sophomores stephen king students summer reading teachers teaching technology tony romano twitter veronica roth what's not wrong writers week writing ya zapping zapping apathy
Tag Archives: zapping apathy
Students experience a presidential campaign only one time during their high school years. Although politics might seem more like the domain of our Social Studies colleagues, campaigns provide plenty to talk about in English/Language Arts classes too. What better way … Continue reading
What do I like best about the daily journals used by my Creative Writing students? Probably the surprises. Each day I write on the board: “Today’s journal topic,” followed by a prompt that comes to me or that I adapt … Continue reading
Thanks to everyone who attended our presentations at NCTE this weekend. If you’re looking for the handouts, scroll down any time! Tony Romano and I were happy to see our friends Jodi Douglas Moeller and Douglas Jameson from Hazelwood West … Continue reading
The 2011 NCTE annual convention is now just around the corner. I can’t wait. This will be my fourth convention, and nothing has ever come close to energizing my teaching as the experiences I’ve had at these gatherings. This year … Continue reading
If you want to see college-bound upper-grade students take a writing assignment seriously, help them with their college application essays! Writing college essays as a class assignment provides an authentic audience, extreme personal relevance, and an opportunity for introspection—in other … Continue reading